Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cookie Stencils

Have you ever seen cookies that a beautiful design that is so detailed you wonder how they decorator created it? I've seen them too and learned that some decorators use stencils to create their images so of course, I had to try it too.

Stencils can be used on cookies or even cakes such as the gorgeous damask cake from my friend Martha...maybe you've heard of her? We're pals but please, don't spread that around. I don't need any crazed fans hounding me for an intro.

Photo of Martha Stewart Damask Cake from Martha Stewart Weddings & Culinary Stencils

These stencils are made from food grade plastic and can be used on BC or fondant covered cakes using an off-set spatula and stiff royal icing. I tried stencils recently on 2 different projects, with 2 completely different results.


Project #1 - Cookies for a friend's event, using her company name.



I used a metal stencil for the hula dancers. Definitely very sturdy and easy to use. Since the metal didn't bend, I had crisp outlines as long as my stencil was clean of any other icing.

Project #2 - Wedding favors

These cookies were made using the plastic stencil below. Obviously I need a lot more practice with this type of stencil (sorry Tiff!) I don't know if it was the way the cookie was iced or because of the font on the stencil which allowed the upper right portion of the S to wiggle (and was probably just my own inexperience) which made it hard to keep the stencil from moving.

The cookies look good from a distance but when you get closer, you can see that the edges are rough. Note to self - ask CookieMookie for tips since she is the stencil guru...



Regardless, I have an amazing cherry blossom cake stencil that is just begging to be used on a stacked cake so I will definitely need to practice again...after my next few projects of course. Next up - gumpaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment