Friday, May 14, 2010

I'm seeing spots!

Polka dots are back! Well honestly, I don't think they ever left. They just fade into the solid color from which they came until they are ready to stand out again. What am I talking about? I have no clue. It's been a long week and I'm pretty sure my brain is broken and I am just talking bubbles. Oh no. Bubbles - spots - I really do think I broke my brain. Thanks goodness the weekend is almost here!

First I have to get through Friday. The good thing about Friday? It's a CW's birthday and that means cake! More specifically, it means cake that I made. My inspiration cake was this:


(Photo and cake by lara3teach)

I love the bright colors on it - it's a very happy cake. If this were your cake, you wouldn't even care what was on the inside. Okay, I'm lying. I would care what was on the inside. I knew that with my limited experience my hope of recreating this cake was slim to none. Sure, the circles are fondant and heck, even I can do that! But the cake isn't covered in white fondant. Nope. That is buttercream all the way.

Let's start by saying that I've never covered a cake in buttercream. Sure, I've used SMBC as filling and under fondant, but I haven't tried to cover an entire cake with a crusting BC. Oh, well, time to learn and it was harder than I thought! Smoothing buttercream is hard. Try it sometime and we can compare notes. Luckily I had already ordered the funky letter tappits and they came in on time. After playing with everything tonight and altering some recipes along the way I ended up with my own polka dot cake.


I don't know why the name looks blue. I really isn't, I swear and you can see the pic below. No blue. Go figure!

I ended up with butter vanilla yellow cake (boy that's a mouthful!) with a nutella mousse-y filling and of course, the buttercream...that didn't really crust but I did alter the recipe a tad so who know what sort of chemistry I created or deleted. I tasted each component separately and I liked it but we'll see how it all works together tomorrow for breakfast.

Breakfast?! Um, yeah. I had some spare parts so I put together another cake. But it's not really for me. It's quality control. ;o) Then maybe I'll be up for practicing smoothing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment