Sunday, May 2, 2010

Happy Cinco de Boy's Day!

May 5 - known all over the world as Cinco de Mayo is also known as Boy's Day here in Hawai'i, and in Asia. Since I'm not much of a drinker, or Mexican for that matter, the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862 holds no special place in my heart. Boy's Day however, I grew up. A separate occasion from Girl's Day on March 3 (otherwise known as Hinamasuri,) Boy's Day is a day to celebrate a child's happiness. Drive around any neighborhood in Hawai'i in the weeks leading up this day and you will come across carp flags flying in the breeze. Normally, you would see 3 carp - 1 each for the father, mother, and the son but some houses have a carp for each son. Where am I going with this? Fish cookies, of course! A CW (that would be co-worker for all of non board members,) asked me if I could make a dozen fish cookies for her babysitter. Sure, I said. Not a problem. Except I didn't have a fish cutter. And I was stymied on how to make it look like a carp instead of just a regular fish. So I bought a cutter and figured okay, bake a cookie, flood it, dry, then add detail. Small problem. That would be a lot of icing on a cookie. Then I thought, why not flood the cookie then do some run-ins? Okay, not that's plan but I didn't count on white fish looking quite so blah and unhappy. See?


I woke up this morning and I still didn't like them. Luckily, I still had some dough so I made up another dozen and although they aren't white with color like the flags, they are much happier fishies.



If you ask me, I think kids would want to eat these little guys much more than the others. Plus, the icing will turn their tongues blue or red so that just an added bonus. The boys can even pull of the candy eye and chomp on that which will raise the gross-ness factor just a smidge.

No matter what you're celebrating this week, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment